Installing the Symbol Table utility
Compared to the OS reinstall, this is much easier (not to mention quicker).
You will need
- One blank floppy disk
- A HP16500B analyser with fully functional operating system. Ideally a fresh OS 3.14 install.
- Roughly 15 minutes of spare time
- A cup of tea/coffee, or suitable substitute (can of Coke, Mountain Dew, Red Bull, etc.)
- Download the E2450A Symbol Table Utility.
- Extract the contents of the ZIP file into a convenient place.
- Copy the contents of the "E2450A" directory to the root directory of a blank, MS-DOS formatted, 1.4MB floppy disc.
- Switch off the analyser, insert the floppy disc, then switch the analyser back on.
- Wait for the "*" symbol in the top right corner of the screen to disappear completely, and the floppy drive light to go out.
- You should have a new Option displayed on the main screen: "Symbol Utility".
- Select "Module", then select "Symbol Table Utility" from the pop-up menu.
- You will be asked if you want to install the Symbol Table Utility. Select "Install."
- This will take a while. Go make yourself a drink... When the drive lights have gone out, the installation is complete.
- Remove the disc, and power-cycle the analyser. When the analyser has finished booting, "Symbol Utility" should appear in the "Software Options" panel.
Thanks to Glen Slick for providing the image of the Symbol Table Utility V3.06 install disk. This used to be on the Hewlett-Packard FTP site, but was deleted just after the Agilent spin-off.